Healthy vs. Unhealthy
Know the Warning Signs
Relationships are tough at any age. When you are a teen, it can be even more confusing. A relationship should never hurt or make you feel bad. Some things just aren’t ok.
IF THESE THINGS HAPPEN IN YOUR RELATIONSHIP, YOU MAY WANT TO TALK WITH SOMEONE. YOU CAN CALL US 24/7
- My partner makes me carry a phone so they can text/call me anytime. I must answer right away.
- My partner checks my phone and social media and gets mad if I talk to people they don’t like.
- My partner decides what I wear even if I don’t like it.
- My partner gets angry easily and I never know what will make them mad.
- My partner decides if I get to see my friends.
- My partner expects me to have sex with other people even if I don’t want to.
- My partner says mean things to me that make me feel bad.
- My partner has hurt me before when I didn’t do what they wanted.
- I worry my partner will hurt me if I don’t do what they want.
Relationships are Different and Some Aren’t Healthy
What’s your relationship like?…
|I can say no to sex with without fear.||I sometimes agree to sex because I don’t want to make my partner angry.||I am forced to have sex with my partner.|
|I only have sex with people I want to.||Sometimes I have sex with other people when I don’t want to.||My partner expects me to have sex with other people.|
|My partner has had sex with others and I don’t like it.|
|I can, and do, use birth control.||My partner decides if we use birth control.||My partner makes me have sex without using birth control.|
|I am not worried about getting a Sexually Transmitted Infection.||I’ve gotten an STI from my partner or someone they made me have sex with.|
|I can hang out with my friends.||My partner expects to know where I am.||My partner decides who I see.|
|I hang out with friends whenever I want.||I need to check with my partner before going out.||I have a phone from my partner and need to answer right away.|
|My partner expects me to meet them whenever they want.|
Big age differences can be a concern when one partner is a teen – especially a younger teen.
|My partner and I are close in age: 1–2 year difference tops. (I am 14 and my partner is 16.)||I’m not 18 but my partner is – he’s a few years older. (I am 15 and my partner is 18.)||My partner is a lot older than me – more than 5 years. (I am 15 and my partner is 20.)|
|I get small gifts occasionally and my partner remembers important dates.||My partner gives me gifts to get me to do things I don’t want to do.||My partner makes me have sex if I want a gift.|
|I go to school regularly.||I miss school because my partner needs me.||My partner expects me to miss school to work for him.|
IF THIS IS HAPPENING TO YOU OR A FRIEND YOU DESERVE MORE.
When you’re ready, let’s go to the
Getting Help page. >
Getting Help page. >